Mkomazi National Park
Are you planning to go on safari in Mkomazi?
Talk to our experts about the perfect planning for your holiday.
Today Mkomazi National Park is easily accessible and is a truly spectacular wilderness! In the northwest, you can see Kilimanjaro, Africa’s highest mountain. And in the south the Pare and Usambara mountains create a dramatic backdrop. To the north, Kenya’s Tsavo National Park borders the Mkomazi National Park. These two parks form one of the largest and most important protected ecosystems. They provide a common base for herds of elephants, oryx and zebras. Mkomazi is located on the southern tip of the Sahel. It has a classic arid area with gray-green nyika bush, old baobab trees, and isolated rocky hills. In other places the scrub seas give way to savannah forests with umbrella acacias and mbugas – flat grassland valleys.
The Mkomazi Rhino Sanctuary has attained international renown for rehabilitating rhino, and it offers viewing and educational opportunities for visitors. Mkomazi is a fascinating destination for bird watchers, boasting more than 450 avian species including some Eurasian migratory species.
- The park is not well known and because of that it has its charme. It’s not crowdy and the animals are acting natural.
- Almost all species can be found.
- Mkomazi is vital refuge for two highly endangered species, the charismatic black rhino and sociable African wild dog
- It’s a cheap alternative for the northern national parks
- Best time: From June to October ( dry season).
- High Season: Tourists visit Mkomazi National Park all through the year
- Low Season: From March to May
The best way to get to Mkomazi is by road from the town of Moshi or Arusha.
Most people fly into Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), which is situated halfway between Arusha and Moshi and about 30km/19mi from Moshi. It is also possible to fly into Dar es Salaam and fly onto Arusha Airport (ARK) or Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO). In most cases, your tour operator will pick you up from the airport.
- Wildlife; common animals are : oryx, zebras, giraffes, lion,leopard,cheetah, antelope, kudu impalas and gazelles, buffalos, etc
- Birds; Hornbills, weaver birds, guinea eagles, purple eurasian hoopoe, kori bustards, ostriches,etc
- Exotic vegetation
- Game viewing
- Walking Safaris
- Mountain biking
- Hiking ( uphill)
Mid Range accommodation: Babu’s camp, Pangani river camp
Luxury hotels: Mambo viewpoint
- Best Weather: From June to October
- Worst Weather: Between March and April
Do you need expert tips on planning for your next safari in Africa?
Share your email here