Are you planning to go visit Zanzibar?
Talk to our experts about the perfect planning for your holiday.
Zanzibar Archipelago consists of many small Islands but Unguja and Pemba Islands are the largest of all. Unguja is the main island of Zanzibar, it consists of a world heritage site the stone town where several historical and cultural activities are done. Zanzibar City is the capital city of Zanzibar and is located also on Unguja Island.
- Impressive beaches
- Zanzibar red colobus monkey and Zanzibar servaline genet
Zanzibar Island has more than 20 impressive beaches some of them are Nungwi, Kendwa, Matemwe, Kizimkazi, Bwejuu, and Michamvi. Zanzibar creates an opportunity to relax at one of the world’s most beautiful beaches during your beach holiday safari.
Zanzibar best Beaches
Nungwi and Kendwa (North part)
These are the best beaches on Zanzibar Island. Absolutely beautiful and classic Indian Ocean paradise. You will experience non-tidal turquoise waters and powdery white sands. They are the most visited beaches and sometimes the place can be busy.
Pongwe (East part)
Pongwe lie in a little concave bit of coastline which means the beach is magnificent, it is seaweed free and very pretty. Less busy than the northern beaches.
Paje and Dongwe (East part)
At this location, the best accommodations are guaranteed. The beaches are impressive, but the sea is very tidal than on the northern Nungwi beach.
Matemwe (at the North-East part)
Matemwe is slightly tidal and located eastern part of Nungwi beach. The best accommodation is also guaranteed here.
This part of Zanzibar Island is well known for its soft sand beaches. Swimming with a dolphin at Kizimkazi, is one of the most fascinating experiences ever.
- Zanzibar is home to two endemic species the Zanzibar red colobus monkey and Zanzibar servaline genet
- The history of Zanzibar stretches back to ancient times
- Zanzibar is a group of Islands and not only one big Island
- The Anglo-Zanzibar war between the United Kingdom and Zanzibar Sultanate took place in Zanzibar and is the shortest war in history.
- Zanzibar is a year-round visited destination due to its pleasant climate and weather
- Zanzibar is the best diving destination
- Zanzibar City is the capital city of Zanzibar and stone town is a historical city within Zanzibar
- Zanzibar is also known as Spice Island due to the presence of Spices that has major impacts on Tourism and Zanzibar’s economy.
- The Swahili language is the main language in Zanzibar and real Swahili cultures are practiced in Zanzibar
You can visit Zanzibar at most times of the year due to its pleasant weather.
However, June to October is the most popular time for travel. Many clients visit Zanzibar during the dry season.
From January to March Zanzibar experiences heat and humidity, hence it is the perfect time for Snorkeling and Scuba diving.
Four airways lead you to Tanzania & Zanzibar.
- Abeid Amani Karume International Airport
- Julius Nyerere International Airport
- Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Arusha Airport
It can take about 25 minutes from Dar es Salaam to Zanzibar by flight. Dar es Salaam Julius Nyerere International Airport is the major landing point for flights from every corner of the world. Even though you can not fly directly from London or United States to Dar es Salaam, you might have like two stop flights in Amsterdam and Dubai which will make your Travel easier.
Zanzibar is one of the best destinations in the world with a lot of attractions to see. It offers the most impressive beaches on the planet. Zanzibar Island has up to 20 impressive beaches most of them are surrounded by fishing villages. These beaches consist of soft white sandy with colorful coral reefs and crystal-clear water of the Indian Ocean. Far from the beaches Zanzibar offers an array of attractions for your holidays and vacations, below is a list of a few among several things to see during your holiday in Zanzibar:
- Impressive beaches
- Red colobus Monkey at Jozani Forest
- Forodhani Market
- Palace Museum
- House of wonders (Beit-al-Ajaib)
- The Old Fort
- Freddie Mercury Museum
- Chaguu Island
- Stone Town (Historical City)
- Spices such as turmeric, vanilla, cardamom, chili, and black pepper
- Reef fish and Sea creatures such as nudibranch, leaf fish, frogfish, crocodile fish, sea horse, mantis shrimp, and octopus
Zanzibar is among the best destinations in the world for beach holiday excursions. Explore various activities during your holiday in Zanzibar such as Cultural & Historical activities, water sports activities, walking tours, Jozani forest, and more.
- Cultural and historical activities such as the Stone town tour, the spice tour, and a visit to Prison Island.
- Watersport Activities such as Snorkeling, scuba diving, fishing, kite surfing & windsurfing, water skiing, and parasailing.
The best excursions in Zanzibar
A spice tour involves a visit to spice plantations and learning how spices, herbs, and fruits grow and how are used as local medicine. You will see different spices such as turmeric, vanilla, cardamom, chili, black pepper, and more. Make a worth visit and explore a long history of the spices from the colonial era.
Kite surfing & Windsurfing
Zanzibar Island offers spectacular beaches for Kitesurfing due to shallow waters, clear sand, and consistent wind. The beaches at Paje, Kiwengwa, and Nungwi are ideal beaches for windsurfing and kitesurfing.
A biking tour is one of the excursions not to miss. Explore this beautiful Island while cycling around and make your body fit. If you like some exercises that will offer you a nice insight into the daily way of life we recommend going for a bike tour.
Walking tour in Stone Town
Also known as “Mji Mkongwe” (a Swahili word to refer to the old city), the stone town is a UNESCO world heritage site and one of the best cities in Africa for cultural exploration. Speaking about the history and Swahili culture, you will get all that you need when you get to Stone Town.
Currently used as a place to relax on the beautiful white beach, Prison Island is a perfect place to be. Superb surroundings make prison Island the best place for snorkeling, swimming, or sunbathing. You can also witness about hundred of giant land tortoises.
Enjoy the natural beauty of Zanzibar on a traditional boat with a stunning view of the Indian Ocean. You will have the chance to visit the most beautiful Islands in Zanzibar during your safari, which involves also swimming and Snorkeling.
This excursion involves a visit to an indigenous forest that is located in Zanzibar. The huge palms in this forest are impressive and you will see lots of monkeys but mostly the rare Zanzibar Red Colobus Monkeys which are endemic species.
You can experience hot and mostly cloudy during the wet season in Zanzibar. During the dry season, you will experience warmth and wind while in Zanzibar.
- The Dry season lasts from June, July, August, September, and October
- There are two Wet seasons: the ‘long rains’ (March, April, and May) and the ‘short rains’ (November and December)
If it has rained during the ‘short rains’ it dries for a few months in January and February
Do you need expert tips on planning for your next safari in Africa?
Share your email here