Saanane National Park
Are you planning to go on safari in Saanane?
Talk to our experts about the perfect planning for your holiday.
Saanane Island is a fully fledged National Park since July, 2013, covering an area of 2.18 sq km comprises of three islets and aquatic environment. The islets lie on the southern part of the main Island.
The park made a record of being the first ever National Park to be located within the City and the smallest National Park in both Tanzania and East Africa. The Park is the home of mammals like Impala, Rock Hyrax, Velvet Monkeys and Wild Cats. The presence of “De-brazza’s Monkey” underscores its potential as the only Park in the country inhabiting the species. Reptiles are also dominant; they include crocodiles, Monitor Lizards, Agama Lizards, Pancake and Leopard Tortoises, Snakes particularly Python.
The aquatic part of the Park inhabits a variety of fisheries life, mainly Tilapia and Nile Perch.
Wildlife viewing lovers, it is an excellent place for game viewing, sightseeing and bird watching. As mentioned previously, it contains a number of mammals including Rock Hyrax, and Wild Cats.
- The park made a record of being the first ever National Park to be located within the City and the smallest National Park in both Tanzania and East Africa.
- The Park is the home of mammals like Impala, Rock Hyrax, Velvet Monkeys and Wild Cats.
June to August during the dry season is the best time to visit Saanane Island National Park. This season is great for game drives, picnics as well as rock hiking.
One can travel by road or air from either Dar es Salaam or Kilimanjaro International Air Ports to Mwanza. Also can travel by road or railway to Mwanza City from Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Kigoma and Tabora. to mention a few. Moreover, people can travel by ship/vessel to Mwanza Port from Uganda, Kenya, Bukoba and nearby Islands.
The Island is accessed by a regular short boat ride for about 5 minutes from Park Offices, on the mainland. Park Offices are easily accessed about 15 minutes short walk from the City Centre.
- Wildlife such as : zebra, impala, rock hyrax, velvet monkey and wild cat. It’s the only place in Tanzania where you might encounter the De-brazza’s monkey.
- Bismarck rock
- Samaki round about mwanza city center
- Kamanga ferry terminal
Saanane Island is an ideal place for :
- Game viewing
- Bird watching
- Rock hiking
- Boat cruise
- Bush lunch,
- Meditation and sport fishing.
- Special occasions like wedding, engagement, team building, family day and birthdays can also be organized.
- Mid Range hotels: Hotel tilapia,
- Luxury accommodations: Wag hill lodge & Spa, malaika beach resort, Ryans bay hotel, Belmont fairmount hotel, The Lahe hotel, Gold crest hotel, Isamilo lodge and Spa
The coldest month is July, with an average high-temperature of 26°C and an average low-temperature of 18°C.
The warmest month is October, with an average maximum temperature of 27°C.
Do you need expert tips on planning for your next safari in Africa?
Share your email here