Gombe Stream National Park
Are you planning to go on safari in Gombe Stream?
Talk to our experts about the perfect planning for your holiday.
Gombe Stream National Park is located in the westernmost region of Tanzania along the shores of Lake Tanganyika. The national park encompasses an area of 14 square miles (35sq km) making it the smallest national park in Tanzania as well as most of Africa.
The park consists of grasslands, woodlands, steep valleys, and tropical rainforest. The diversity is surprising for such a small region. The area where the monkeys and primates are found is dense jungle, which some may describe as a true Tarzan-like setting.
The location where Jane Goodall pioneered her behavioural research conducted on the chimpanzee populations.
- Gombe Stream is one of the best places in Africa to track chimpanzees.
- First researched in the 60’s by Jane Goodall, the primates are remarkably habituated. The project now ranks as the world’s longest running study of any wild animal population.
- The experience is one that you are unlikely to forget.
- Best Time: July to October
- High Season: July to October (Gombe never gets crowded)
The only way to get to Gombe is by boat from Kigoma town. Depending on your itinerary, you might book your international flight to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) in Arusha town or Julius Nyerere International Airport (DAR) in Dar es Salaam.
In most cases, your tour operator will pick you up from the airport or, if not, you can take a taxi. Your tour operator will also book your ongoing domestic flight to Kigoma Airport (TKQ) and will charter a private motorboat to Gombe. The boat trip takes less than an hour.
It is also possible to take a public motor boat or ‘lake taxi’ from Kigoma to the park. This trip takes about four hours.
- Varied primates
- The natural history of Jane Goodall
- Kakombe and mkenke waterfall
- Lake Tanganyika
- Birds life
- Mountain climbing
- Walking safari
- Chimpanzee trekking
- Boat cruise
- Butterfly gazing
- Sport fishing
- Snorkeling and diving
- Mid range accommodation: Kesekela Rest house, Mitumba Rest house
- Luxury hotels: Kasekela Luxury Campsite, Gombe Forest lodge
- Best Weather: June to October (Little to no rainfall)
- Worst Weather: November to April (Wet season)
Do you need expert tips on planning for your next safari in Africa?
Share your email here